Sunday, September 11, 2011

Rethink the gameplan?

After talking with one of the computer vendors in Hawaii I have learned
a few things,

If you have a serious desire to find a job in Hawaii, they strongly
suggest you move there first.

The reason is that most employers have had many bad experiences hiring
people from the mainland to come there. One of the many reasons why it
doesn’t work out, the mainland folks have a hard time getting acclimated
to the business culture in Hawaii. It costs the employer time and money.

o Though it has about 1 million people, this is geographically a small island.

o Good and bad – you’re surrounded by the ocean, meaning no
long drives. (You can drive around the entire island in about 2.5 hours.)

o If you’re white, then you’ll be a minority there. Their observation is that
many have a difficult time with this issue.

o Every aspect of life, including business, is more laid back.
Bad for the “fast lane” folks.

o You’re far from your mainland relatives, another major factor for the
non-working spouse.

o Higher cost of living than most of the US. Average house
here ~$600K, average condo ~$300K.


After a lot of rejection applications I now know why now.
I need to get to the islands, let employers know I'm there,
than pray I can get a job.

So what does that mean... I'm going to have to leave my current job,
go on blind faith to the island to look for work.
I'm not sure I'm in financial shape to do that yet.
Gotta start squirreling away some cash to see if I can make this happen.

Keeping you in the loop...

No comments:

Post a Comment